Special Religious Education
Special Religious Education (SRE) is taught in public primary and high schools across the Diocese with paid and volunteer workers drawn not only from our parishes and special districts but other denominations as well.
The Diocese ensures that scripture teachers are well trained and appropriately authorised. The Diocese is a member of the Inter Church Commission for Religious Education in Schools (ICCOREIS) which develops, promotes and supports quality religious education in schools.
The Diocese is an Approved Provider of Special Religious Education in NSW. Our volunteer SRE teachers have undertaken authorised initial and ongoing training in child protection and classroom management issues.
The requirements for SRE teachers in Armidale Diocese are:
- have a current Working with Children Check
- be authorised by a vicar from the church they attend
- complete both Safe Ministry training every thee (3) years and initial SRE training in line with ICCOREIS Training Standards (http://www.iccoreis.asn.au/teaching-sre/training/), and ongoing development training every year
- be observed teaching SRE during the year and receive feedback; and
- use and authorised curriculum (see below)
For more information about the Department of Education’s Policy and Procedures follow the link below:
For enquiries please contact Janene Lewers at email@example.com
The Department of Education and Communities (DEC) requires all curricula authorised for use in SRE (Special Religious Education) to be made available for parents to view online.
The current curricula authorised by the Bishop of the Diocese of Armidale are listed below:
For more information on SRE activities within the Diocese contact Mrs Janene Lewers on 0412 698 693.