Frequently Asked Questions and Policies

Stipends and Allowances 2021 – 2022

Click to Download (72 KB)

Stipends and Allowances 2022 – 2023

Click to Download (72 KB)

Guidelines for the use of Ministry Expense / Salary Sacrifice Account Money

In the Armidale Diocese the type of expenses that may be paid from a minister’s expense account include (but not limited to):

  • expenses in relation to the purchase, financing and operating costs of a motor vehicle (including a bicycle) used for ministry purposes; expenses for local, domestic or international travel related to the pursuit of the clergy’s or ministry staff’s pastoral duties and professional development; expenses of the clergy’s or ministry staff’s spouse and/or children in accompanying the clergy or staff member on ministry related matters; and, expenses of the clergy and ministry staff’s spouse in representing the clergy or ministry staff member on ministry related matters;
  • the costs associated with the provision or upkeep of a home in which a clergy person or ministry staff member is living, a holiday home or a home for retirement (one only). For example, loan repayments, utility costs, local government rates, home and contents insurance and building maintenance;
  • education, professional development, supervision, mentoring and professional de-briefing costs for clergy and ministry staff members, including but not limited to books (where their cost exceeds the Diocesan prescribed book and technology allowance), DVDs and conference fees;
  • ministry related expenses including but not limited to telephone, mobile telephone, internet services, subscriptions, periodicals, newspapers, computer hardware and software (where the costs exceed the Diocese’s book and technology allowance), clerical shirts and attire, gifts made in relation to ministry (for example, offertories and gifts to mission organisations);
  • the education expenses of dependent children;
  • private health insurance premiums for the clergy or ministry staff member and their family;
  • personal contributions to superannuation; and
  • other expenses of clergy and ministry team members that are approved by a parish council or the equivalent body.

Ministry Expense Account Annual Salary Sacrifice Agreement

Click to Download (122 KB)

First, some background on the way the Salary Sacrifice system works:

A stipend sacrifice arrangement is one where a ministry worker foregoes the payment of a portion of their cash stipend. In return, the Parish Council / Diocese agrees to make certain payments to third parties on behalf of ministry workers. (Quoted from the FAQ Ministry Expenses document on the Diocesan website)

The reason salary sacrifice payments are free from tax is because rather than getting money, the parish / diocese is providing you with a non-cash fringe benefit (and the church is exempt from Fringe Benefit Tax for pastoral workers). So, for a payment out of your ME/SS account to qualify as a fringe benefit, it needs to be an “Expense payment fringe benefit”. The ATO defines them as follows:

An expense payment fringe benefit may arise in either of two ways:

  1. you (the employer) reimburse an employee for expenses they incur
  2. you pay a third party in satisfaction of expenses incurred by an employee.

So, if the parish/diocese were to pay your scheduled mortgage repayment for you, or were to reimburse you for it, then that would be an expense payment fringe benefit.
However, to pay in excess of the required repayment amount is doing more than paying (or reimbursing you for) a bill you owe, and indeed, with a redraw account, that extra money is available to you, in one of your bank accounts, as cash regardless of whether you choose to withdraw that money from the account or not. This would mean that the amount in addition to the required repayment is not an expense payment fringe benefit, and should be reported to the ATO by the parish/diocese as taxable income.

Christopher Pears
3 July 2019

As stated in the Parish Governance and Administration Ordinance 2015, it is expected that parochial districts in particular will provide housing for an Incumbent and any other clergy ministering in a parochial district. In the event that the Diocese, parish or special district does not have a property for a clergyperson or ministry worker to live in, they, provided the Bishop, or, in his absence from the Diocese or a vacancy in the See, the Vicar-General, and the parish or special district have given their consent, may live in their own home and receive a housing allowance. The allowance should be at least two-thirds of the rent the vicarage in the parochial district in which they serve or nearest to where they are, or intend, living could attract if rented.

(Diocesan Council, 5 May 2015)

No tax is payable on the Housing Allowance if it is paid directly to a financial institution or to the clergyperson’s Ministry Expense Account. Where is it paid directly to the clergyperson, it is to be treated as taxable income.

Tax and Centrelink Implications for a Minister Having a Housing Allowance

Click to Download (234 KB)

Annual Leave

All full-time stipendiary clergy engaged by parishes and special districts are entitled to the following:

  • four weeks annual leave. If the clergyperson has accrued more than 10 weeks untaken annual leave, then the Wardens or Parish Council are to bring the matter to the attention of the Bishop, and the clergyperson may be instructed to take leave ; and
  • refreshment and/or study leave for two weeks each year but it is not cumulative. It may be taken in one segment or in any series of segments before 31 December each year.

Every Incumbent should inform their churchwardens and the Bishop or Vicar General if he intends to be absent from his parish or special district for two or more successive Sundays. He should arrange with the churchwardens for the holding of Divine Service in his absence and any costs incurred will be a charge on parish or special district funds. Where doubts arise as to leave entitlements the Bishop or the Vicar-General should be consulted.

On leaving a parish or special district, or a non-school chaplaincy role, clergy are either to take leave they have accrued and not taken in the preceding two years, or be paid in full for the leave they have accrued but not taken during this period.

It is important that Incumbents let their Archdeacon know what arrangements have been made to cover emergencies such as funerals when there is no clergyman available in the parish or special district. Archdeacons who also have parochial responsibilities should inform the Bishop’s Assistant of the arrangements they have made to cover emergencies. Churchwardens should also be made aware of these arrangements.

Unless they opt to be covered by the long service leave arrangements of their employing entity, full-time licensed clergy in the Diocese are normally members of the Anglican Church of Australia’s Long Service Leave Fund (the Fund). Parishes and special districts, in the absence of other arrangements, are invoiced monthly by the Registry for the contributions they are required to make on behalf of their clergy who are members of the Fund. Clergy contemplating taking long service leave should, in the first instance, approach the Bishop, or the Vicar-General if necessary, to ask for approval. Once approval is obtained, clergy should then advise the Registrar, who will formally advise the Long Service Leave Fund of the clergyperson’s intention to take long service leave and the period for which leave has been approved. This should typically be done at least three months before the intended leave is due to commence. Typically, around three weeks to a month prior to the leave commencing, the Fund forwards to the Diocese the monies to cover the period of leave that is to be taken. Where clergy are engaged in parochial ministry, the monies are forwarded to the parish or special district where they are ministering. The payment comprises two components – a sabbatical allowance and a notional stipend. The sabbatical allowance is, after deducting income tax, to be paid to the clergyperson in full. The notional stipend, which is also taxable, is currently higher than the stipends paid to clergy in the Diocese. The Registry recommends that parishes to pass on the full amount of notional stipend as stipend / salary sacrifice while continuing to pay the book and tech allowances, the fixed travel allowance, Superannuation, LSL and CASI out of regular parish money. Where parishes and special districts employ laity, long service leave provision should be made for them on the same basis as for clergy covered by the Fund: namely, 10 weeks long service leave on completion of the first 10 years of service and on completion of each subsequent five years of qualifying service a further period of five weeks leave.
Clergy involved in stipendiary ministry in parishes and special districts are able to take up to four weeks compassionate leave a year, provided both the Bishop, or the Vicar-General when the Bishop is absent or the See is vacant, and the parochial district agree, with the costs of the leave to be borne by the parochial district. For those clergy engaged in chaplaincy roles, their access to compassionate leave is a matter for their employing agency. Where clergy are involved in chaplaincy or Diocesan roles for which the Diocese is wholly responsible financially, the Bishop, or in his absence or a vacancy in the See, the Vicar-General, is able to approve the clergyperson taking up to four weeks compassionate leave a year with the costs to be borne by the Diocese. Where a chaplaincy position is jointly funded by the Diocese and a parochial district or parochial districts, the Bishop, or the Vicar-General where the Bishop is absent or the See is vacant, is able to approve the taking of up to four weeks compassionate leave a year where the parties agree with the costs of the leave to be shared in the proportions that would have been the case in the person’s ongoing role had the leave not been granted.

Clergy Accident and Sickness Arrangements

Clergy involved in parochial ministry and those engaged in ministry on behalf of the Diocese or Diocesan agencies and who are either required or opt to be part of the Diocese’s remuneration arrangements are covered by the Diocese’s accident and sickness arrangements. Parishes, special districts, the Diocese and agencies, where appropriate, contribute one per cent of stipend annually towards the costs of the insurance cover that underpins the arrangements.

However if a clergyperson is incapacitated by accident or illness, the insurance cover only takes over responsibility for them after three months. During that first three months the parochial district or other body that has financial responsibility for the clergyperson will continue to meet the costs of their stipend, superannuation and long service leave contributions and clergy accident and sickness insurance payments as well as any costs associated with other clergy discharging their responsibilities while the clergyperson is unable to perform them.

Ministry staff have the option of salary sacrificing part of their stipend and having the parish pay it to their superannuation on their behalf. (Please note, the ATO does apply caps to these arrangements, so please check what these caps are before entering into any agreements). However, for a parish to make such additional superannuation payments, it is not as simple as phoning the Super Company and getting some payment details – it must be paid through a Super Clearing House. The ATO will do it for no charge through their own clearing house, provided you are small (less than 19 employees). To deal with the ATO clearing house, you must first set up an “Auskey” online. To apply to do this you must be an “Authorised Person” of your organisation. Once in the Auskey, you then have a username & password to get into the “Business Portal”. Once in the business Portal it is possible to set up an employee and register his or her Superannuation details. From there, they allocate you a B-Pay Account & Reference number & you can tell them how much you intend to pay on behalf of your employee & they will pass this amount on to the Super Company, presumably less 15% tax. An additional benefit is once registered in this way, treasurers are then able to do the parish’s BAS Statement online & lodge it electronically.

What to do when a workplace injury happens

  1. Check for danger to make sure no one else gets injured
  2. Ensure that the injured person is treated for their injury
  3. Document the incident and the injury immediately
  4. Pass this report on to the Registrar within 24 hours
  5. Have your Parish Council review the circumstances of the injury to see if something can be done to minimise the chance of such an injury happening again. Any such report by the Parish Council should also be forwarded to the Registrar.

The Registrar 11 September 2019


Last Updated: 8 March 2022

The costs associated with the transport of furniture and other goods belonging to clergy are shared between the Diocese and parishes and special districts.  For moves of clergy within the Diocese the costs are shared equally, that is, 50:50, between the Diocese and the parochial district concerned.  For people coming into the Diocese from elsewhere in Australia, the Diocese meets 75 per cent of the costs and the parochial district 25 per cent.  For clergy coming from overseas to minister at a parish level within the Diocese, or returning to Australia for this purpose, the Diocese and the parochial district where they are to minister share (75:25) the costs of transporting any furniture and other goods within Australia to the place where they are to minister.

For clergy taking up Diocesan appointments, and these involve a relocation, the Diocese meets costs associated with the move.

Unordained ministry workers who move into the Diocese to take up a stipendiary ministry position with a parish or with the Diocese with the expectation that they will be ordained at the next appropriate opportunity are to be treated as clergy for the purposes of this policy. Similarly, unordained ministry workers who move into the Diocese to take up a stipendiary ministry position with a parish or with the Diocese with the expectation that they may be ordained after a period of probation are also to be treated as clergy for the purposes of this policy.

The effects, furniture and other household goods of clergy while in transit are covered by the Diocese’s insurance arrangements.

Where clergy are either moving into or within the Diocese they should obtain three written quotations for the packing and transport of their effects, furniture and household goods and forward them to the Registrar for his consideration.

Since July 2015 the Diocese has been assisting with the costs of clergy moving into retirement, or their surviving spouse moving where the clergyperson dies while holding a stipendiary position in a parish, special district or Diocesan agency.  The amount of assistance is currently $5,200.  This will rise to $5,400 from 1 July 2019 and will rise in $200 increments in July 2021 and 2023 until it reaches $6,000 in July 2025.

In terms of time off for clergy during a move, the Diocesan Council has approved Paid Relocation Leave of one week for all clergy and their families moving between parishes in the Diocese, with stipend and other associated expenses to the value of 3.5 days being contributed by both the outgoing and the incoming parishes, with the leave to include one Sunday.

Section 4.37 of Faithfulness in Service says: You need to know the relevant principles of the applicable privacy legislation in relation to the collection, use, disclosure and management of personal information. These have implications for:

  • the publication of personal information in church directories, newsletters, rosters and websites;
  • the recording and publication of voices and images of individuals; and
  • the use and security of all personal information, and especially sensitive information, held by clergy and church workers or in church offices.

At the moment, technically all of our parishes are exempt from the Privacy Act 1988, as their annual turnover is less than $3,000,000. However, having said that, the Registrar nevertheless encourages parishes to respect people’s expectations and wishes when it comes to privacy. It would be good practice to have explicit permission from those in any Parish Directory to have their details published, and when the parish gets that permission, to be clear about who the Directory would be distributed to. So yes, you can distribute it to all regular members of your church (including those who haven’t signed up to be in it), just so long as you tell people that that’s what you’re going to do. This would then also allow you to give a copy of the book to any new people who subsequently join your congregation. But of course this also means that it wouldn’t be a good idea to just leave piles of them lying around the church for people to pick up.

See under ‘Helpful Documents’ for more advice on privacy guidelines for parishes and a draft Privacy Policy for parishes to consider adopting.

The Sale of Buildings and Lands

  1. The parish must ensure that a majority of the Parish Council is in favour of the sale. This should be tested by a motion at one of your Parish Council meetings.
  2. The parish must give public notice (preferably both read and written) of the proposal to sell the property. This should be done at church on two successive Sundays, and if the sale involves a branch church and if services are still being held at that church, then the giving of notice should include a notice at a service at the branch church in question.
  3. In giving notice of the proposed sale, people should be advised that any objections may be lodged with the Registrar ( or P.O. Box 198 Armidale NSW 2350). People should be given one month from the date of the first notice in which to lodge any objection.
  4. Once notice of the proposed sale has been given and the period for objections has elapsed, the Parish Council should complete the form Parish Council Authorisation for the Sale of Church Property and return it to the Registrar together with a brief outline of the reason for the sale and what the parish proposes to do with the sale proceeds. If the parish is unsure what will be done with the money, the default position is that the net proceeds from the sale are to be invested by the Parish in the Diocesan Development Fund and may be subsequently withdrawn by the parish to be used for the purposes of the parish.
  5. The Registrar will then prepare a land sale ordinance to be considered by Diocesan Council at its next scheduled meeting.
  6. The Registrar will advise the parish of the outcome of the land sale ordinance.
  7. If the land sale ordinance passed, the Parish may put the property on the market. The parish will be authorised to make all the arrangements for the sale – whether that be by auction, tender or individual offer and whether an agent will be used to facilitate the sale process. The Corporate Trustees will generally only intervene in a proposed sale if it is thought that the proposed sale price does not reasonably, and without good reason, reflect the value of the property.
  8. The Registry recommends that the legal aspects of the sale are best handled by the Diocesan Solicitor, Mr. David White, of A.W. Simpson & Co. Armidale. It is the responsibility of the parish to engage Mr. White (or another solicitor) to carry out this work.
  9. At the conclusion of the sale, the Registry will receive the proceeds from the sale less the fees and expenses that have been incurred.
  10. By a resolution of Synod, the Diocese retains 15% of the gross sale price (ex GST) to be put in the Bishop’s Sustaining Ministry Fund. The Diocesan Council has the authority to waive this fee upon application by a parish if it is felt that the circumstances warrant it. The balance of the funds will be forwarded to the parish, or deposited with the DDF, as per the parish’s instructions.
  11. Where an real estate agent has been used and he or she is holding the deposit for the sale, this deposit, less the agent’s commission, is to be similarly forwarded to the Registry who will then pass it on to the parochial district.
  12. GST will generally be payable on the sale of church property, unless the sale in question is of a used residential house. The parish is advised to take the 10% GST into account when determining the sale price. The parish will be responsible for paying any GST out of the proceeds of the sale via their next Business Activity Statement lodged with the Australian Taxation Office. This can be offset to some extent by the GST that may be claimed back from agents’ fees and legal fees. The Registry will supply the parish with a copy of the tax invoices required to meet these GST responsibilities.

If you have any questions regarding the sale process, please don’t hesitate to contact the Registrar.

Purchase of Parish Property

Parishes don’t need permission from the Diocese to buy property, however if the purchase is to be financed by a loan from a financial institution other than the DDF, then Diocesan Council approval for the loan is required.

For any purchase, the funds for the purchase will be the responsibility of the parish, however, as with all parish property, the purchase will be in the name of the Corporate Trustees of the Diocese of Armidale. So, given that the Corporate Trustees will be asked to sign the purchase contract, it will make things easier if a briefing is provided for the Corporate Trustees that outlines the reason for the proposed purchase, the property that has been decided on, the purchase price, how it will be financed, and an assurance that the parish can meet the financial commitment involved in the purchase. This is not to seek the approval of the Corporate Trustees, but just so that they know about the purchase when they are asked to sign the contract for it, and that they have an assurance, before signing, that the parish will be able to provide the required funds.

The Registry recommends that parishes engage the legal services of Mr. David White of AW Simpson and Co, Armidale for property purchases, however this is not compulsory, and parishes can make other arrangements for legal support should they wish.

It’s important that parishes keep the Registrar informed about the progress of any property purchase, so that upon the completion of the purchase, details of the property can be recorded in the register of diocesan properties, and so that appropriate insurance cover is obtained through the diocesan buildings insurance policy.

The Registrar will also need to be advised about reason for the property purchase, as if it is related to the ministry of the parish, or to provide accommodation for one of the ministry staff of the parish, then the Registrar will be able to apply to the relevant council for a rates exemption for the property.

Diocesan Grants

The main Diocesan grants available are:

  • Worboys Grants – available for one off evangelistic initiatives, or for the seeding of new evangelistic or discipleship enterprises
  • Seeding Ministry Grants – to enable parishes to employ an evangelist, or minister to work primarily in evangelism, to assist the growth of a parish
  • Indigenous Ministry Grants – for ministry focussed on indigenous people and communities in our Diocese

Please contact the Registrar for more details on any of these grants. For an application to be considered for funding in any given financial year, the application needs to have been submitted to the Registrar by the end of July of that financial year. The final decision on grant applications is made by Diocesan Council, who considers the range of applications received and the money available to fund them.

Anglican Diocese of Armidale – Building Approval Protocol

Scope: This protocol deals with the erection, addition or alteration of any church building, vicarage or other building to be erected, altered, added to on lands for which The Corporate Trustees of the Diocese of Armidale are responsible. Repair and maintenance work which does not make an addition or alteration to a building does not fall within the scope of this protocol.

  1. Parish Consultation – if the building work involves a licensed or consecrated building, then the consultation must be as per the Parish Governance and Administration Ordinance, Schedule E, Clauses 3(a) and 3(c) as reproduced below. (a) prior public notice has been given at church services on at least two different but successive Sundays on which services are held; (c) opportunity is given for five or more parishioners to petition within one month of the first public notice being given, as provided for in section 3(a) above, to disallow such proposed action.
  2. An outline of the project and the proposed building plans are forwarded to the Registrar. If the value of the building project is less than $20,000, then the Registrar may formally approve the project on behalf of the Bishop without the need for any further examination. However, if the proposal involves an ornament or monument within or on the walls of a church building, then special permission in the form of a faculty will be required regardless of the value of the project. 3. If the value of the building project is $20,000 or greater, then the Registrar arranges for 3 members of the Building Approval Panel (see Parish Governance and Administration Ordinance, Schedule E, Clause 2) to consider the proposal and write a report making a recommendation to the Bishop. 4. Upon receipt of the report from the panel, the matter is brought to the Corporate Trustees to seek their recommendation 5. If finance outside of the DDF is required, this will be brought to Diocesan Council and the Corporate Trustees. 6. The Bishop makes his decision, be it approval, conditional approval or rejection, taking into account the recommendations he has received.

Approved by Diocesan Council, 24 July 2018

When a church event is not on church property, the Diocesan insurance cover will cover negligence by church representatives (e.g. advising people to do something that is clearly dangerous), but not public liability relating to the venue itself (e.g. falling down a broken step). That risk is carried by the property owner and any insurance that they may have.

For “one off” casual visitors to a parish who have a worship or safety agreement in another Diocese and are therefore a “person of interest” (POI), or indeed another parish, they have agreed to inform their “home” diocese or parish of their intended visit. It would also be good if the POI informed the parish they are visiting though that probably cannot be enforced as the parish would not know that they were a POI unless they disclosed it.

If a parish or Vicar becomes aware that a visitor is a POI, the Vicar should mention it to his church wardens to ensure some rudimentary “supervision” by observation, notify by email the Armidale Director of Professional Standards (DPS) at cc’d to Bishop’s Assistant and keep a diary note.

The DPS I would then make enquires of the “home” diocese DPS to clarify if there are any particular matters the Armidale Diocese needs to be aware of.

Bequest to a Parish

The wording could be as follows:-

I GIVE AND BEQUEATH a legacy of x dollars ($X) free of testamentary expenses to the Anglican Parish of XXX, PARISH ADDRESS, for the general purposes of the parish and I DIRECT that the receipt of the Treasurer or other proper officer of the parish shall be sufficient discharge to my executor for this bequest.

The super will continue to be paid through the Diocese. The STP system is a reporting system to the ATO. It does not involve payments, other than to compare reported super to super received by the employee’s super fund.

The parish has always been legally responsible for paying superannuation at the rate of at least 9.5% of gross wages for all employees (which includes clergy). This will not change under STP. STP is an up to date reporting system that uploads super information, as well as gross wages and PAYG tax, into the ATO system. Previously the super has not been reported.

Parishes in their return make a declaration for the amount of super that will be paid in a timely manner, as per the ATO regulations. The Diocese will then ensure that this money is passed on to the relevant funds at the appropriate time. Any non-compliance due to a late payment by the Diocese would be followed up by the ATO under the new system, but the parish is ultimately responsible.

The situation where the Diocese pays clergy super for parishes when it is due, even if they may have not paid by the time it becomes due, is a matter for DC. This is why these debts are reported to DC, as these are a legal obligation of each parish to pay. It is a red flag if they are not being paid to the Diocese in a timely manner.

Property Use Policy

Click to Download (90 KB)

Safe Ministry Policy

Click to Download (201 KB)

Domestic Abuse Policy and Guidelines

Click to Download (2MB)

Protocol for Resolving Grievances and Addressing Conflict

Click to Download (704 KB)

Clergy Standards and Discipline Ordinance Protocol. 

Click to Download (228 KB)

Due Diligence Protocol

Click to Download (239 KB)

Professional Standards Protocol

Click to Download (232 KB)

Anglican Diocese of Armidale External Conduct Standards

Click to Download (188KB)

Professional Supervision Policy

Click to Download (215KB)

Parish Treasurer Manual

Click to Download (734 KB)

Incident Initial Report Form

Click to Download (58 KB)

Parish Council Authorisation for the Sale of Church Property

Click to Download (112KB)

Social Media Resources 

Social media policy template – Click to Download (31KB)

Privacy and social media resource notes – Click to Download (32KB)

Privacy Resources 

Draft privacy guidelines for parishes – Click to Download (40KB)

Draft privacy policy for parishes – Click to Download (31KB)

Privacy and social media resource notes – Click to Download (32KB)

Hazardous Materials Surveys for Parishes

Armidale Parish – click to download

Ashford/Delungra – click to download

Baradine – click to download

Bingara – click to download

Boggabilla – click to download 

Boggabri – click to download 

Bundarra – click to download 

Emmaville / Deepwater – click to download 

Glen Innes – click to download 

Gunnedah – click to download 

Guyra – click to download 

Inverell – click to download 

Lightning Ridge – click to download 

Manilla – click to download 

Moree – click to download 

Mungindi – click to download 

Narrabri – click to download 

Quirindi – click to download 

Tambar Springs – click to download 

Tenterfield – click to download

Tingha – click to download 

UNE Armidale – click to download 

Uralla – click to download 

Walcha – click to download 

Walgett Collarenebri – click to download 

Warialda – click to download 

Wee Waa – click to download