HERITAGE LISTING OF THE CATHEDRAL
On 13 March 2014, in a ceremony in St Peter’s Anglican Cathedral, Armidale, the then State Minister for Heritage and Environment, the Hon. Robyn Parker MP, officially announced the listing of the Cathedral on the State Heritage Register. She presented Bishop Rick Lewers with a Certificate of Registration.
In her address Ms Parker acknowledged the historical, architectural and cultural significance of the Cathedral which had opened for worship in 1875. The Bishop responded on behalf of the Diocese and the staff and congregation of St Peter’s. Dean Stephen Williams outlined the history of the Cathedral, especially its foundation, owed largely to the collaboration of Bishop James Francis Turner and the architect John Horbury Hunt. The Cathedral replaced the original St Peter’s Church, built in 1850 on a nearby site and demolished after the opening of the Cathedral.
The State Member of Parliament, Mr Adam Marshall MP, and members of the Heritage Council and of Armidale Dumaresq Council were present, as well as clergy and members of the congregation of St Peter’s. The Cathedral is in constant use for services on Sundays and weekdays. It features many examples of architectural and building expertise and ecclesiastical art, including stained glass windows and bespoke timberwork and masonry.